One of the key things to keep in mind while identifying Dals or Lentils is to check these 2 important things --
1. Is the Dal with skin (chilka) or without skin (dhuli)
2. Is the dal whole (sabut) or split into two (tooti)
Important Terminology to Remember
Sabut means Whole
Dhuli means Washed i.e.Without Skin
Chilka means With Skin
Tooti means Split (from the centre into two)
Generally a dal referred with chilka is taken as the dal is split with skin on.
Lets begin with one of the most loved dal
URAD DAL or BLACK GRAM or BLACK DAL
1. Urad Dal Sabut/Kali Dal/Black Gram/उड़द दाल साबुत
2. Urad Dal Chilka/Split Black Gram/उड़द दाल छिलका
3. Urad Dal Dhuli Sabut/Whole Washed Black Gram/उड़द दाल धुली साबुत
4. Urad Dal Dhuli/Split Washed Black Gram/उड़द दाल धुली
Urad dal whole & with skin is a popular dal used to make dal makhni.
|Urad Dal Sabut/Kali Dal/Black Gram/उड़द दाल साबुत|
When the above urad dal is kept skin on but is split into two it is called Urad Dal Chilka (Tooti/split)
|Urad Dal Chilka/Split Black Gram/उड़द दाल छिलका|
When the same urad dal above is kept whole and only the skin is removed what we get is Urad dal sabut dhuli.
Urad Dal Dhuli Sabut/Whole Washed Black Gram/उड़द दाल धुली साबुत
When the same urad dal above is split in two and the skin is also removed what we get is Urad dal dhuli tooti.
Urad Dal Dhuli/Split Washed Black Gram/उड़द दाल धुली
MOONG DAL or GREEN GRAM DAL or MUNG BEAM
1. Moong Dal Sabut/Green Gram Dal/Mung Bean/मूँग दाल साबुत
2. Moong Dal Chilka/Split Green Gram/मूँग दाल छिलका
3. Moong Dal Dhuli/Split Washed Green Gram/मूँग दाल धुली
4. Moong Dal Dhuli Sabut/Whole Washed Green Gram/मूँग दाल धुली साबुत
Moong dal whole & with skin is a popular everyday dal generally prepared with a tadka. It is a light dal and goes well with roti & rice.
Moong Dal Sabut/Green Gram Dal/Mung Bean/मूँग दाल साबुत
Moong Dal Chilka is quite popular when making khitchadi.
Moong Dal Chilka/Split Green Gram/मूँग दाल छिलका
Moong Dal dhuli which is split is used to make dal tadka as well as moong dal halwa.
Moong Dal Dhuli/Split Washed Green Gram/मूँग दाल धुली
MASOOR DAL or RED LENTIL
1. Masoor Dal Sabut/Red Lentil/मसूर दाल साबुत
2. Masoor Dal Dhuli/ Split Washed Red Lentil/मसूर दाल धुली
Masoor or Red lentil is a very light bodied dal & a combination of masoor and channa dal with tempering is usually preferred.
Masoor Dal Sabut/Red Lentil/मसूर दाल साबुत
Once the skin is removed Masoor dal is added to either moong or toor dal to add more body. It is seldom used on its own to make dal tadka.
Masoor Dal Dhuli/ Split Washed Red Lentil/मसूर दाल धुली
RAJMA or RED KIDNEY BEAN
1. Rajma Chitra/Kidney Beans/राजमा चितरा
2. Rajma lal/Red Kidney beans/राजमा लाल
This Rajma is very soft & tender once it gets cooked.
|Rajma Chitra/Kidney Beans/राजमा चितरा|
This rajma takes more time to cook than the chitra variety and remain lightly firm even after cooking.
|Rajma Lal/Red Kidney beans/राजमा लाल|
2. Channa Dal/Split Chickpeas/चना दाल
3. Hara Channa/Green Chickpeas/हरा चना
4. Safed Channa/Kabuli Channa/White Chickpeas/काबुली चना
Kala channa is high in protein and is consumed in various form in Indian cuisine. Best examples are kala channa curry, sattu and besan.
|Kala Channa/Black Chickpeas/काला चना|
Kala channa when split from the centre & the skin (chilka) is removed it is called Channa dal.
|Channa Dal/Split Chickpeas/चना दाल|
This is another variety of the kala channa.
|Hara Channa/Green Chickpeas/हरा चना|
White Chickpeas or Kabuli channa are quite famous across the world. They are best suited for cooking Pindi choley & hummus.
|Safed Channa/Kabuli Channa/White Chickpeas/काबुली चना|
1. Lobhia/Black Eyed Peas/Beans/लोभिया
2. Bhura Lobhiya/Brown Eyed Beans/भूरा लोभिया
3. Lal Lobhiya/Red Eyed Beans/लाल लोभिया
Lobhia/Black Eyed Peas or Beans/लोभिया
|Lal Lobhiya/Red Eyed Beans/लाल लोभिया|
MOTH DAL or TURKISH GRAM
|Moth Dal/Turkish Gram/मोठ की दाल|
|Kulthi/Kulth/Horse Gram/ कुलथी|
TOOR DAL or ARHAR DAL or PIGEON PEAS
Toor dal is one of the most used dals across India. Sambhar a popular lentil curry is made with toor dal.
|Toor Dal/Arhar Dal/Pigeon Peas/तूर दाल|