Betel leaf and the Indian betel nut is a mouth freshener with a unique zing. In India, it is customary for the hosts to offer their guests this after dinners. This dessert takes on the Italian pannacotta and gives it a fresh avatar.
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 15 min
Yields: 10 Servings
- 500 ml fresh cream
- 15 gm gelatin
- 1 tbsp betel nut mixture
- 2 tsp kewra water
- 75 ml sugar (fine grain)
- 10 betel leaf
- supari mixture
- 25 gm gulkand
- Soak gelatin with equal amount of cold water in a bowl and keep aside.
- Pour the cream in a pan and bring it to a boil. Remove from heat and add sugar and kewra water. Let it rest till it is turns warm.
- In the meantime, put the betel leaf in a blender and add 2 ice cubes. Make a puree but make sure it does not turn brown.
- Heat the gelatin in a pan over a fire or in a microwave till it turns liq- uid. Add it to the warm cream. Add the betel leaf puree and supari.
- Pour the mixture in a mould of your choice and refrigerate for 2 hours. Then, demould and serve topped with some gulkand.
- Remember, intensity of kewra water differs from one brand to another, so use ac- cording to its strength.
- Gulkand is rose petals wilted in sugar. You can find it in a grocery store or paan shop.